Grignan

 

 

Grignan is a village in the Drôme department ( Rhone - Alpes ) and has 1452 inhabitants (2005 ) . The place is part of the district of Nyons .

The sight of Grignan is dominated by the castle of Grignan , the largest Renaissance castle in southeastern France . In 1035 , the first mentioned in writings . The building had then a military function and is built on a rock with steep walls . In the 15th century the castle  has converted by  the severe Gaucher Adhemar  into a luxurious castle. His son Louis Adhemar , governor of Provence and ambassador in Rome , has  continued the modernization .

In the 17th century the castle gets fame thanks Marquise de Sevigne , Marie de Rabutin - Chantal . Her daughter , Françoise Marguerite , married in 1671 with the Count of Grignan and goes to live at the castle . The result is a correspondence between mother , who lives in Paris , and daughter . These letters have become very well known. Grignan is a statue of Marquise De Sevigne . In June / July, in her memory in Grignan a festival held on everything to do with writing .

 

 

 

http://www.ville-grignan.fr/